Stuffed Veggie Grilled Cheese Worth Trying
So to continue with the grilled cheese article that I'm writing, I decided to try out a healthier option for all of you health nuts by day/ grilled cheese lovers by night. Just between you and me: I'm one of 'em. And let me just say, I was not disappointed with this sandwich.
-2 thick slices of multigrain bread
-2 slices of swiss cheese
-2 large tomato slices
-1 small onion*
-1 large handful of fresh spinach
-salt & pepper
I'm really not an onion person at all and I actually really enjoyed it on the sandwich. Give it a try!
1. Begin first by making a simple guacamole. Scoop out half an avocado and mash it in a bowl with juice from lime and desired amount of salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. Place about a tablespoon of olive oil in a pan on medium-high heat. Cut onion in thin slices and place on pan once hot. Allow onions to simmer for several minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
3. Add spinach to the same pan over medium-high heat. Stir constantly until leaves begin to wilt. Add more olive oil if needed. Once spinach has cooked, remove from pan and set aside.
4. Butter the outside of the two slices of bread. Layer the sandwich however you please with the buttered sides of the sandwich facing outwards. Cook until both sides are golden brown.
1. guacamole 2. tomato slices 3. cheese 4. onions 5. spinach 6. cheese 7. bread
I seriously loved this sandwich so much. My roommate and I both agreed that we could easily sit down in a restaurant and buy it. It was pretty quick and easy to make, and we've decided its going to become one of our regular meals! If you're health freaks like we are, or just generally in the mood from something relatively healthy that isn't salad, I totally recommend trying this. Enjoy!